Nowadays, the United States of America is facing Vitamin-D deficiency in an uncontrolled way. It’s unbelievable that the reasons behind many health problems are the deficiency of Vitamin-D. It means that by balancing and eliminating deficiency of vitamin-D in the body we can get our good health back. The deficiency of vitamin-D may not be taken seriously, but mostly deficiency of vitamin-D is the reason behind the development of ruthless diseases. Here we’ll see how to recover deficiency of vitamin-D in your body.
Deficiency of vitamin-D causing Schizophrenia.
Study shows that vitamin is very much important for brain development. Its deficiency could be a factor to cause schizophrenia, depression and Parkinson’s disease. Seizures in infants and Alzheimer’s in adults may occur due to deficiency of magnesium and calcium accompanying deficiency of vitamin-D.
But don’t worry, because adequate intake of vitamin-D, not only avoids different attacks but also works as a cure.
- Vitamin-D plays a very important role in preventing or at least sloping different forms of arthritis.
- It lessens any probability of stroke and heart attack.
- Adequate intake of vitamin-D improves insulin release and its response towards body organs like liver and muscles. That’s why adequate amount of vitamin-D in the daily diet may help prevent diabetes.
- Vitamin-D also relieves indications of continuing and seasonal depression.
- Sufficient intake of vitamin-D in childhood helps to develop a strong and healthy immune system.
- It plays important role in the prevention of cancer, by regulating cell growth and separation.
Some false contents about vitamin-D.
There are some false rumors extending without any reason or evidence.
- Daily intake of vitamin-D requirements is same for everyone, irrespective of size, age, gender or skin color. Well, it is wrong to say that, because vitamin-D supplements should be based upon weight-basis. It must also be adjusted as per the vitamin-D level in your blood.
- Normal level of vitamin-D is 20 ng/mL. It’s wrong because normal level of vitamin-D is above 30 and ideal level is between 40 and 60 ng/mL.
- Daily 1200-mg of calcium intake is required for young adults and 1500-mg for adults more than 65-years is required. Similarly, postmenopausal women also require 1500-mg of calcium daily intake. Again, it’s wrong. If your diet is acid-base-balanced and your vitamin-D level is levels between 40 & 60 ng/mL, then no need further supplement.
- It has been said that osteoporosis caused due to aging and begin after menopause. Wrong. Because osteoporosis begins before birth and occurs due to deficiency of vitamin-D or lack of exercise. Failure to gain adequate bone mass in early adult age may cause osteoporosis in old age.
- Excess doses of vitamin-D can cause kidney stones? Wrong. Kidney stones produce due to excess acid in our diet, which converts it into acidic urine, causes the formation of stones.
- Obesity caused due to intake of many calories without burning it. That’s not the case. Fatness causes due to malnutrition. We ate food consisting of less nutrition, resultantly causing obesity.
- Osteoarthritis (OA) causes due to aging and wear-and-tear of joints. Rather it caused by a modification in bones due to deficiency of vitamin-D and diet consisting of excess acid.
- Autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and cancer, are genetic diseases. These are preventable diseases with a healthy diet and adequate normal intake of the vitamin-D levels.
How much you need vitamin-D.
Here is how you can check vitamin-D deficiency in your body. If:
- Body mass index (BMI) of your body is 30 or greater than 30.
- You have persistent bone, muscle, or joint pain or having fatigue.
- You are 50 years old or more than 50.
- Before going outdoors, you have to wear sunscreen of 8 SPF (Sun Protection Factor) or greater than 8 SPF.
- Are you living outside 35-parallel south of the north of the equator.
- Spending your time outdoors between 11 to 4 p.m.
- You are a woman.
If more than three out of seven above-mentioned queries, your answer is Yes, then you are at high risk. It means you need to raise your vitamin-D level either through supplement or sunlight. You should get measure your vitamin-D level. Best way to maintain vitamin-D level in your body, is to go for blood tests. In this way, you can estimate as whether there is any deficiency and how you should respond the deficiency. Moreover, in case of no good, you may get healthcare advice by comparing your earlier and current blood reports.
Vitamin-D level should be maintained by more than 30 ng/mL.
Study shows that lowest level to be considered as adequate vitamin-D level is 30 ng/mL or 75 nmol/L. There is no iota of chance that diseases like osteomalacia (bones’ tenderness) or rickets could occur with adequate vitamin-D level. In 2010 in Germany, a study was conducted on persons died in accidents. It was found that abnormality in mineralization of bones was zero percent in persons having vitamin-D higher than 30 ng/mL. Agreed threshold for vitamin-D level is 30 ng/mL.
Persons having vitamin-D level less than 30-ng/mL are more vulnerable to colon cancer, type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular occurrences or even death. Additionally, absorption of dietary calcium is also damaged due to deficiency of vitamin-D less than 35-ng/mL.
A study was published in 2011 by University of Colorado, to investigate the link between vitamin-D and diabetes in children. It was observed, at 40-ng/mL parathyroid glands initiates discharge of hormones to activate vitamin-D and pull calcium out of bones. When body’s level is between 30-40, body begins compensate and it goes into a catastrophe if level is below 30-ng/mL.
It’s better to have slightly high dose, than to face risks of serious health issues. In order to avoid health issues, ideal level of vitamin-D is between 40 and 60, and at least 30-ng/mL. Particularly persons working in sunlight, are less susceptible to diseases related to vitamin-D deficiency e.g. lifeguards and farmers.
People with frequent immigration, from rural agricultural centers to cities, may have face less sunlight contact. Accompanying such low exposure to sunlight, indoor official activities, also causes effective crisis of vitamin-D level.
For example it may be highest at the end of summer and lowest at the end of winter. As far as you travel from equator, fluctuations increase. At the end of year, you may be exposed to deficiency of vitamin-D, that’s why winter’s end is best time to check level of vitamin-D. Daily diet participates very little in such seasonal fluctuations of vitamin D levels.
If you are worried about health issues related to vitamin-D deficiency, you must measure your vitamin-D level. If after taking initiative, you may measure your level, to check whether you are on right track.
Sun as a source of vitamin-D.
Due to change of sunlight exposure, there is seasonal variation of vitamin-D in blood. But this fluctuation only occurs to those, who, more or less, get sunlight contact in their daily routine. People, who have no sunlight experience, may have no seasonal change of vitamin-D level in their body. Similarly, farmers in North Dakota despite of spending more outdoor time, their bodies cannot make sufficient vitamin-D. Because they live so far north therefore between October to April, they have less sunlight exposure. This is even serious, that farmers from North Dakota, may fall 50% level of vitamin-D from October to April.
Likewise, sailors of naval ship or submarines may lose about 50% of vitamin-D level, without ultra-violet (UVB) for ten weeks.
Best sort to enhance level of vitamin-D.
The best way to enhance vitamin-D level is sunlight exposure. It’s not so simple, rather little bit difficult. Because it’s only possible when you spend more time outdoor, while living in place with UV index greater than 3.
As you’ll need short time you to make sufficient quantity of vitamin D, if UV index is greater than 3.
How to calculate UV Index.
United Sates, Environment Protection Agency (EPA), in May, 2005 explains how to calculate UV index level.
HOW THE UV INDEX IS CALCULATED
The UV Index represents the amount of skin-damaging UV radiation reaching the earth’s surface at any instant of time. The basic UV Index forecast is given for solar noon, which is sun’s highest point in sky and the time of highest fluctuation in UV radiation (under clear sky conditions).
A UV Index forecast begins with a forecast of the total ozone amount. All the forecast parameters used in the UV Index computation are derived from National Weather Service (NWS) forecast models. The sun angle at solar noon (or for any other time) for that day is determined. A radiative transfer model determines the flux of UV radiation for a range of wavelengths. An action spectrum weights the response of the human skin to UV radiation at each wavelength. Once weighted, the flux values are integrated over the entire range, resulting in an erythemal dose rate — the instantaneous amount of skin-damaging radiation reaching the surface under clear sky, at sea level, with low aerosol conditions, as measured by units of milliWatts per square meter.
Adjustments then account for a location’s elevation, aerosol, and cloud conditions. Next, the optical properties of cloud conditions expected at that time refine the dose rate further. Finally, the resultant dose rate is applied to the UV Index. One UV Index unit is equivalent to 25 milliWatts per square meter.
However, UV index is not an exclusive measure of UVB light, but UV-B plays important role to calculate UV index. Whole year, UV index is available, therefore it’s a practical tool to check your capacity to create vitamin D.
Other relevant factors for production of vitamin-D.
Your environment is not the only factor for production of vitamin-D.
Modern glass also restrains UV-B lights. That’s why your occupation also matter, as your body cannot create vitamin-D while sitting at your home, car or office. As a whole, in order to avoid deficiency, your body should expose to sunlight.
Full cure through Vitamin-D.
If you’ve initiated program to recover vitamin-D, in your body. You may notice boosted energy or pain reduction within two weeks. But be cautious, it would take at least 2.5 months to raise vitamin-D level in your body.
Further, out of vitamin-D deficient people, 50% are also deficient in magnesium, and without magnesium, vitamin-D cannot work efficiently. You have to choose right supplement or take necessary changes in your diet, in order to complete the package. As compare to vitamin-D, recovery of magnesium took several months. Additionally, through blood tests you cannot easily assess magnesium status in your body. Rather, it can be assessed by your diet pattern. Progress of magnesium in bone and cells, is slow as it may took a year to replenish bone with magnesium.
How to measure progress in the treatment program.
There is a questionnaire, maintained at doctors’ clinic by staff on getting answers by patients. This series of questions known as Clinical Modified Health Assessment Questionnaire II (CLINHAQII). Here is yardstick which Mr. James Dowd, M.D, provide in his book “The Vitamin D Cure”.
Help or no help?
To accomplish a certain activity, do you need no assistance, some assistance, or a great deal? Or you’re completely dependent on others for help in performing an activity and can’t complete the task on your own.
Pain or no pain?
Do you feel no pain, less pain or worse pain.
Fatigue or no fatigue?
Do you feel no fatigue, less fatigue or worst fatigue ever.
Healthy or not healthy?
The fourth number in the series for perception of overall health. Either patient has no health problems at all or having awful health issues.
Restful sleep or sleep problems?
Either patient has no restful sleep or very restful sleep.
Deficiency of vitamin-D level, is little bit complicated than it looks. But not impossible, as you can accurate the level and help yourself. You can cure yourself through vitamin-D either by including missing ingredients in your daily diet, or fix it through supplements.
Note: Book “The Vitamin-D cure” by James Dowd, M.D, was very much helpful for this article. Click here to download the book.